What this is about

To mark the centenary of the Great War, I am researching the WW1 histories of my ancestors. This blog documents my progress.
To read a summary of what I've discovered so far, select an ancestor/family member from the list on the right-hand side.

Thursday 4 October 2018

Roche Noire Photos

While I have yet to visit Salonika and pay my respects to my great-uncle, I was fortunately contacted by Gary Wall, whose great-uncle also died during the taking of the Roche Noire salient.

To mark the centenary, Gary travelled to Greece, visiting the battlefield and the cemetery at Polykastro (aka Karasouli).

He has kindly allowed me to post some of his photos on the blog. Many thanks mate!

The hilltops that were the focus of the assault

Looking across to the Roche Noir, marked a lump of rock on the hilltop.

View from one of the hilltops looking down towards the British line.

Looking down towards the valley bottom where the British line started the assault.

You can still see outline of trenches on the hilltops.

Gary at his great-uncle's grave at Karasouli Cemetery

John's headstone, located in the previous photo at Gary's right shoulder, just to the right.

Thanks once again Gary!

No comments:

Post a Comment